Have You Been in a Hit-and-Run Crash?

Car accidents occur every day. The law requires drivers to stay at the scene of an accident they are involved in, but not all of them do. If a driver leaves the scene before exchanging information with the other driver(s), this is known as a hit-and-run crash. If you’re the victim of a hit-and-run and you are conscious after the accident, it is essential that you do several things first, and then call The Law Office of Mark T. Hurt. A prestigious car accident lawyer can best explain why all of these steps are necessary to ensure that your compensation is adequate and fair.

Call the Police 

Inform them of how the accident occurred, including if you noticed the at-fault driver doing anything negligent, such as running a red light, not submitting to you having the right-of-way, or texting. Officers will create an accident report, which you will need to submit to your insurance company. They can also investigate and assist in finding the perpetrator.

Remain at the Scene 

While you might be tempted to chase the other car, it is not advisable. You would not get a police report or information from witnesses, and you might have an altercation with the other driver. In addition, by law, you should not leave the scene of an accident. 

Record Details About the Other Vehicle 

You need to write down anything you noticed and remember about the automobile that left the crash site: 

  • Color, make, and model
  • The license plate number 
  • Which direction the vehicle took when leaving 
  • A description of the driver 
  • Any damage 

This information will help in the search for the other vehicle and driver.

Talk to Witnesses 

If other drivers witnessed the accident, try to get information from them. They may have seen the license plate number of the fleeing car and can explain how the crash occurred. Also, get their contact information in case the police or your insurance company needs to contact them.

Take Photos 

You should take pictures of the scene of the accident and any damages to your vehicle or yourself. These will be helpful for your insurance company and your lawyer. 

Accept Medical Attention 

Injuries aren’t always immediately apparent. The police may call an ambulance, or you can visit a doctor or hospital on your own after the incident. The results of your medical assessment will be very valuable if you find that you did sustain an injury, both for your insurance company and your attorney, if applicable.

Contact Your Insurance Company

Claims for vehicle damages resulting from a hit-and-run accident may be payable under your uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. You may, however, need to use your health insurance for medical needs if not covered by your auto insurance policy.

Consult with an Attorney

A lawsuit may be warranted if your insurance company tries to deny your claim or if the other driver is located. Contact a car accident lawyer, like one from The Law Office of Mark T. Hurt, for information about how you can be assisted. Let your lawyer handle the potential legal issues so you can focus on medical treatments, physical and emotional recovery, and vehicle repairs.

Scroll to Top